Monday, August 11, 2014

Adding Technology to my Special Education IEP meetings

As a special education teacher, it is my responsibility to prepare my high school students for what awaits them after school.  This may be college, technical school or a job right out of high school.  Whatever they choose to do, I need to make sure they are as prepared as possible for this transition.

Since I have been looking at new technological possibilities in the classroom, I started thinking about how to incorporate some of these ideas into my special education meetings.  It is very important to include the student in the entire process.  All of the decisions made affect the student.  Wouldn’t it be wonderful to allow the student to address his interests and what he considers his strengths and weaknesses in a video, audio or eBook

There are so many options to use technology in the IEP process.  I would love to try an audio book written by the student to share with the IEP team.  I also think this would be a great way for the student to report on his transition goals.  If the student is to interview an employer, an audio or video report would be a fun way to reflect on the completion of the task.


I am determined to keep an open mind and challenge myself to use technology in new and unexpected ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment